While most esthetician schools are significantly more affordable than traditional colleges, tuition can still be somewhat intimidating to many people. Luckily, there are plenty of financial aid options out there to help you pursue your future without putting yourself in a bad position financially.
At Skin Science Institute, we’re proud to not only offer the very best esthetician school courses in Utah, but also to provide financial aid options to all our students who may require them. What are some of the options typically available here, and how can you choose between them? Here’s a basic primer.
Federal Financial Aid
The US government often plays a major role in helping fund education, including alternative forms like esthetics. There are a few options here:
- Pell grants: This is a program that provides need-based grants to low-income undergraduate students. Most who take advantage of this program won’t even have to repay these grants in any way, making them enormously beneficial.
- Stafford loans: These refer to both subsidized and unsubsidized loans made available to students.
- PLUS loans: Designed for graduate students or parents of dependent undergraduate ones, these loans are available in the form of both subsidized and unsubsidized government-backed repayment options.
The first step for any of these financial aid types is to fill out what’s known as a FAFSA form (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). If you have any questions or concerns about filling out this document, simply contact our financial aid office.
In other cases, you may consider private loans from local lenders who are known to do a good job with these kinds of needs. We typically recommend two lenders:
- Mountain America Credit Union: MACU is a fantastic local credit union serving SLC and other Utah students. Visit them here.
- Eve Financial: They offer a three-step process to obtain funding. Visit them here.
As long as you’re careful about your loan terms and ensuring you complete all the required details, these kinds of loans are often highly advantageous.
Another option is to look both online and in your local community for various scholarships that may be available to esthetician students. This can be a time-consuming process, but it’s often well worth the effort as scholarships can provide a significant amount of financial assistance.
Start with your local area, as many small businesses and organizations offer scholarships specifically to those in the local community. You may also find national-level options by doing a simple online search.
In addition, don’t forget to check with your chosen esthetician school as they may have their own scholarships available. Our financial aid office will be happy to direct you toward the ideal scholarships to apply for.
For more on how to obtain financial aid for your esthetician school needs, or to learn about any of our beauty school programs, speak to the staff at Skin Science Institute today.